Billy Chattaway

Hi,
I’m fairly newish to poker and I’m pretty much a losing player, what do you think beginners like myself should concentrate on when learning about the game.
Thanks
Play in some micro stakes games and experiment with your playing style. Which hands do you raise from which positions, are you playing aggressive poker or passive & which is more successful. What is the best way to win pots. How can you maximise your winnings when you have the best hand. The best way to learn is by playing... start at a level where the money doesn't matter too much and try to find which style works for you. Once you are comfortable take a shot at the odd tournament and see how you get on. Then you will experience different hands and spots & question the game. Poker takes a day to learn but a lifetime to master! Good luck 👍🏼

Hey sorry if it has been asked, not scrolled through but what player type would you group yourself in. Also do you used a HUD and if so for 9 players what VPIP, PFR, 3B% do you usually have and also for 6 players at the table.
Thanks.

Percyeus86

Staff member
Hey Billy.

A couple of questions.

What are your goals? On a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis? Is there an end goal?

Have you ever been to a point where you thought, enough is enough - either through a loss in desire for the game, or financially?

How do you balance poker and life?

What would you say propelled you from just being a regular guy that played poker to being a top pro, playing daily. Did you get a break? A big win? Were there any sacrifices you had to make to pursue your dream?

Thanks.
Jody

Hey sorry if it has been asked, not scrolled through but what player type would you group yourself in. Also do you used a HUD and if so for 9 players what VPIP, PFR, 3B% do you usually have and also for 6 players at the table.
Thanks.
I think it's important to have multiple gears when playing poker, sometimes hyper aggro and sometimes the rock of Gibraltar. I try to work from a good foundation of the basics, generally playing good solid poker and adding in some bluffs along the way. You don't want only good hands because it will be too easy to play against, I try to stay unpredictable and unorthodox as much as possible.

I don't use a Hud when I play. However I remember my stats being something along the lines of 22/18/8 for vpip pfr and 3b. I'm told you want the two first numbers fairly close together as it means more often than not you're entering the pot with a raise. Stats can be misleading, if I played lots of pots early on but tightened up later that wouldn't show in grouped statistics. Rather than what stats should I have, maybe alter the thinking to which range of hands should I have when I enter a pot from which position, e.g. K-10 may be a raise on the button but a fold under the gun. Good preflop ranges is a good basis on which to build from.

Hey Billy.

A couple of questions.

What are your goals? On a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis? Is there an end goal?

Have you ever been to a point where you thought, enough is enough - either through a loss in desire for the game, or financially?

How do you balance poker and life?

What would you say propelled you from just being a regular guy that played poker to being a top pro, playing daily. Did you get a break? A big win? Were there any sacrifices you had to make to pursue your dream?

Thanks.
Jody
Hi Jody,

Goal setting would differ from person to person. My long term goals are set in stone and never change, since I started it was always to own my own house and live comfortably stress free. I don't think there is an end goal as such, it's important to enjoy the process. Day to day my goals would vary depending what's on. For example when playing a multi day live comp the goal is make day 2/3/4. Online I may want to win a Scoop event or qualify for an EPT and these would be goals. I've won a party poker promotion before which took me to the Caribbean for a 5k buy in. Top 2 of the leaderboard won a package, playing $22 Power series games and the odd $55. I dedicated 7 days to this promo and on the last few days played 18 hour days. I'm writing down and focussing my energies in specific areas. When I write daily goals my
First two are always the same. Be happy & be healthy. During stressful periods it can be reassuring to read these and reset the brain... appreciate what you have, nobody cares that you have lost 10 all ins In a row. Other daily goals would be don't play more than 8 tables or stick to $109 games with one $215 as a shot ... reminders to stick to a pre determined strategy.

I've never felt enough is enough but I've been rock bottom. Long story short I won 30k and a few days later lost the whole amount on a high stakes cash table (I game I don't play often). As I'm trying to rebuild a roll from nothing I take a bad beat on a final table bubble aa to Kk for huge chip lead, was like 10k up top and I broke down pretty much. I vowed to myself at this point I would be more sensible with my wins when I had them as I wouldn't want a repeat of that night.

The successes didn't come overnight. In the early days I would play regularly on the smaller sites and make a good wage. It's not as glamourous as the money on stars but there was still potential for good earnings. After doing this for maybe 3 years I then moved a lot of my volume to pokerstars. 2015 was pretty much a breakout year for me on that site, I won a tcoop in Jan, a scoop in April for my first 6 figure score & I final tabled a Wcoop highroller in Oct for again my biggest ever cash. I satellites this tournament for $100 so just to min cash was a great return. When I started poker I quit a job at Coutts bank to pursue a trial period for a poker staking company. I told my mum I was sacked so that I could fully commit to the trial. I was playing Semi professional football for Sutton alongside poker and was on contract with them. I rang the manager to terminate that contract because I was making more money playing poker and the late nights weren't doing any favours for my fitness. "If you try to catch two rabbits, you'll catch neither." I realised I was more likely to succeed at poker than I was at football. Neither of those felt like big decisions at the time, I loved playing poker & believed in myself.

Thanks for your questions,

Billy

Last edited:

Percyeus86

Staff member
Hi Jody,

Goal setting would differ from person to person. My long term goals are set in stone and never change, since I started it was always to own my own house and live comfortably stress free. I don't think there is an end goal as such, it's important to enjoy the process. Day to day my goals would vary depending what's on. For example when playing a multi day live comp the goal is make day 2/3/4. Online I may want to win a Scoop event or qualify for an EPT and these would be goals. I've won a party poker promotion before which took me to the Caribbean for a 5k buy in. Top 2 of the leaderboard won a package, playing $22 Power series games and the odd $55. I dedicated 7 days to this promo and on the last few days played 18 hour days. I'm writing down and focussing my energies in specific areas. When I write daily goals my
First two are always the same. Be happy & be healthy. During stressful periods it can be reassuring to read these and reset the brain... appreciate what you have, nobody cares that you have lost 10 all ins In a row. Other daily goals would be don't play more than 8 tables or stick to $109 games with one $215 as a shot ... reminders to stick to a pre determined strategy.

I've never felt enough is enough but I've been rock bottom. Long story short I won 30k and a few days later lost the whole amount on a high stakes cash table (I game I don't play often). As I'm trying to rebuild a roll from nothing I take a bad beat on a final table bubble aa to Kk for huge chip lead, was like 10k up top and I broke down pretty much. I vowed to myself at this point I would be more sensible with my wins when I had them as I wouldn't want a repeat of that night.

The beauty of poker as a profession is the freedom that it allows, no boss, no set working hours, no alarm clock. I do many things besides poker generally sports related, football squash skiing golf. And I take most Fridays off from the table as well as any day I fancy taking off. I make sure I play pretty much every Sunday & my friends and family know this. I would miss the odd Sunday but it would have to be for a good reason! It's easy to get wrapped up in poker, I try to play series when they're on and play less during other times.

The successes didn't come overnight. In the early days I would play regularly on the smaller sites and make a good wage. It's not as glamourous as the money on stars but there was still potential for good earnings. After doing this for maybe 3 years I then moved a lot of my volume to pokerstars. 2015 was pretty much a breakout year for me on that site, I won a tcoop in Jan, a scoop in April for my first 6 figure score & I final tabled a Wcoop highroller in Oct for again my biggest ever cash. I satellites this tournament for $100 so just to min cash was a great return. When I started poker I quit a job at Coutts bank to pursue a trial period for a poker staking company. I told my mum I was sacked so that I could fully commit to the trial. I was playing Semi professional football for Sutton alongside poker and was on contract with them. I rang the manager to terminate that contract because I was making more money playing poker and the late nights weren't doing any favours for my fitness. "If you try to catch two rabbits, you'll catch neither." I realised I was more likely to succeed at poker than I was at football. Neither of those felt like big decisions at the time, I loved playing poker & believed in myself.

Thanks for your questions,

Billy
Thanks for taking the time out and giving such a detailed response. All the best on your journey.

Jody